Friday 24 February 2012

Friday 24th February 2012


Another glorious day, again temp' reached a high of 18 mid afternoon. Sun is bringing out the bugs and insects, lost count on the number of Ladybirds I saw both inside and outside.
Correction - the Hoverfly I referred to yesterday was in fact a Honeybee. Thanks Boyo for that. Today on the same plant was a Bumblebee, sadly a terrible photograph.
Blackbird has started building a nest big time. Has this year decided on the Lelandi Tree after years in the Ivy Hedge. He has also taken a liking for Chips. No other Bird is interested in the leftover Chips I throw out every Friday.
No sign of the Jays again, three days now. If not spotted over the weekend I will start to worry.

Went into Town this morning to buy a number of picture frames. I am going to start framing some of my better photographs.
The camera and leads I ordered for the Woodpecker Nest Box arrived today so that will be my weekend job.

Picture 1 - Blackbird and Chips!
     "     2 - Bumblebee on Hellibore (apologies for such a terrible photograph).

1 comment:

  1. Blackbirds (as well as pigeons and doves) are one of the first land-based birds to build nests every year. This is because they have multiple broods (up to three a year) if magpies and cats get the first attempt...
    I've seen blackbird fledglings in February before...

    Water-based birds are sometimes just as early. This is because as soon as they can guarantee their water won't be frozen, their food supply is always in the water, so they can breed right away.

    ReplyDelete