Wednesday 21 March 2012

Wednesday 21st March 2012



Another very warm day, almost hot mid afternoon.
Spent day pricking out 320 Petunia, Greenhouses now full to overflowing. Do not want any late frosts now.
                  Robin started building nest at 11.30 this morning but not until a war was won between the Robin and a Starling that kept trying to enter the box. Amazing behaviour.
This Robin started to build a nest in this box on the 18th March last year. It is a nest box I had made for the Swifts that arrive in mid April. In view of the Robin taking over I decided to make a further Swift Box, this I did during the Christmas Break. In this box I shaped a nest base out of two sheets of Kitchen Paper - on checking the garden this morning I noticed a sheet of Kitchen Paper on the lawn forgetting for the moment the Swift Box. Later in the day I noticed a sheet of KP sticking out of the said Nest Box. Now it is obvious a Bird has taken an interest in this box, interesting days ahead. Looks as though I could be making a third Swift Box!
Picture 1 - Robin building nest.
     "     2 - Kitchen Paper in entrance to Nest Box.
     "     3 - Bumble sunbathing on the side of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment