Thursday 23 June 2016

Thursday 23rd June 2016











Very warm but overcast day. As I type this blog at 17.38 it is now raining and looks settled for the evening now.
A good day spent in town despite my photographs getting me into loads of trouble. More on this later in the blog.
Work progressing well on the demolition of the old civic offices, had a lump in my throat and spent a little time reflecting on the time I worked here as a housing officer. Started in 1973 and was one of the first intakes in this ultra modern office development. Good times.
Walked across town to Riverside and over to Kings Meadow Baths. Again work progressing well but sadly unable to get close as surrounding area waterlogged.
Back to riverside and a cuppa on the tea barge moored close to Reading Bridge before making my way back to the railway station. Impressed with the pop up village, surreal seeing deck chairs set up at the station!
From here a walk to the Oracle and a couple of photographs of the Kennet & Avon canal as meanders through the shopping centre.
Arrived home to see the wonderful swifts flying around the house and getting very close to the nest box. Prospecting for next year?
Picture 1 - Civic Offices, demolition.
      "     2 - Wonderful shop facade along Oxford Road.
      "     3 - Tea Barge at Reading Bridge.
      "     4 - View of river from Reading Bridge.
      "     5 - State of the art cycle racks at Reading Station.
      "     6 - Deck Chairs at Reading Station.
      "     7 - Canal at the Oracle.
 "  8  - 10 - Kings Meadow Baths.
 "11 & 12 - Swifts.




Security gone mad? Fully understood the apprehension today but did just wonder if it was really necessary? Had taken my photograph of the civic offices from the car park roof of the Mall shopping centre. Made my way down to the gents in the shopping mall when I overheard a conversation from a security guard's phone - gentleman with beard just entered wc before placing camera in a blue rucksack. On leaving I was then apprehended by a uniformed guard who said - scuse me sir, have you a camera in your bag, why were you taking photographs, photographs not allowed. Arguing my case I was told to gain permission in future before attempting photography.
Later in the day I entered the Oracle and captured a couple of images of the canal and the stunning flower display. On entering the shopping area I was once again apprehended and asked why was I taking photographs. I explained then I was told I was on private property and all photography was banned. 
I was more than annoyed now so made my way to the management office who just repeated what I had already been told. I then decided to visit the management office at the Mall and here I was explained in detail the reasons and was happy for me to proceed in future but to email him first. What a farce or not?
A lot more was said to me which I will not explain here but does prove to me how sensitive everyone is at the moment on security issues. I will cherish todays photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment