Saturday 3 January 2015

Thursday 1st January 2015 - New Years Day.







Dry but a very dull, overcast day. Had been some overnight rain.
Day spent walking around this wonderful City and visiting the SS. Great Britain.
I was simply amazed at the quality of the amazing stone buildings that adorn this City. The detail in the stone carvings was the best I have seen. The marina of course is now full of bars and eating places after the demise of the ship building industry. 
No words can describe my emotions on seeing the SSGB in its splendour. I have followed this beast from the day it was decided to ship her back from the Falklands. I in fact visited the ship in 1970 on her return.The museum curators have asked to see the photographs I captured on her return. I remember walking across scaffold planks to reach the inside of this rotten hulk. No H & S then. I then again visited some 15 years later when I took another selection of photographs. 100% credit to the workmen and sponsors who have brought this ship back to original.
With sore feet it was good to see the hotel again to enjoy a good pint before sitting down to a good meal.
A great day.
Pictures 1 & 2 - Sample of the fine buildings that make up the financial area of Bristol.
       "             3 - Steam Ship Balmoral moored in Bristol Marina. Another ship we have sailed on to Lindisfarn and the Northumbria Coastline back two years ago.
Pictures 4 - 7 - SS Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment